As I progressed throughout the years braces came, hair frizzed, pimples popped, and harsh realities hit. Grandparents and friends passed away amidst babies being born into the family. The reality of Santa Claus hit while I fought valiantly to keep the spirit of Christmas alive in my heart.
There were a few years where the string of thoughts of "Christmas feels different this year", or "something is missing" came to my mind. I couldn't understand why the "magic" was suddenly gone.
As I reflect now I realize that some of my most memorable Christmases have been the ones that were oriented around serving others. Isn't that what Christ's life emulated? And isn't Christmas celebrating the birth of Christ?
That is my Christmas lesson: giving. Christmas is about giving to others. It is about loving others in the spirit of giving. It means to be filled with music of selflessness and kindness. I have since realized that I had forgotten the reason why we give. We give because Christ gave everything to us. We give because Christ gave His life for us. We give because Christ is the ultimate gift, and during this celebratory time of year we give to one another in His name. Because He is the ultimate example of giving, and He was the ultimate gift. Remember, on this day, and during this time, and throughout the years; the true meaning of Christmas is in the name. Christ.
If you need a good talk to read on this, Elder Holland reminds us of the story of the birth of Christ in the following talk:
http://www.lds.org/liahona/1995/12/christmas-doesnt-come-from-a-store?lang=eng&query=*+(name%3a%22Jeffrey+R.+Holland%22)
Artist: Liz Lemon Swindle

No comments:
Post a Comment