This world is backwards. People that should be recognized are not. I am obviously talking about teachers. Teachers shape the world. Teachers inspire, develop, nurture, and encourage the leaders of our future. Teachers' are the leaders of today. Yet, they are not noticed. They are not given proper funds. They are not recognized for the backbreaking and heart wrenching details that play into the life of a teacher. Doctors and lawyers are important, and should be recognized and well paid. But what would they have become if they had not had a teacher? A teacher who cared enough to help them succeed? Where would you be without your teachers? Yes, "boys and girls", teachers is plural. There may be one or two teachers that stand out above the rest, but we have all been touched by many many many teachers. I estimated and by the end of high school I had had over 60 teachers. By the time I finished college I had had over 100 teachers throughout my time in school. From age 5 to 21 I had had over 100 men and women affect my life for better.
Teachers' see and hear some of the most heartbreaking and life shattering life stories. Stories that you should never hear, especially because they are so often told about the students that you care for and love every day in your classroom. Teachers work tirelessly to ensure that EVERY child benefits, that EVERY child is being serviced to reach his or her greatest potential. Teachers raise the children of today. They are team members with parents. Teachers are advocates for a higher and better society. Please don't stand in their way, don't bring down all of their hard work. Please don't demean or judge a woman or man who chooses to be a teacher. When you do you are demeaning all of the hundreds of men and women that you praised as "teacher" throughout your life. The men and women who helped you grow to be who you are today. Please don't underestimate the power of a teacher, for this world is backwards. Those that work in the dirt are creating the most beautiful flowers. Don't step on our garden.
My name is Karla Horne. I go by Ms. Horne, Miss Karla, Karla, Horne, Hey you, um, but most importantly "teacher".

No comments:
Post a Comment